Prompt: Write about an experience when someone assumed something about you because of a stereotype. What was the situation, and what did you do?
Response: Growing up Mexican American, I have had people assume that I am “whitewashed” because of the way I talk or because I grew up in the United States. They assumed that I was not connected to my Mexican culture just because I did not fit their idea of what being Mexican should look like. At first, it bothered me because I knew that my culture is a big part of who I am. I realized that I do not have to choose between being American and being Mexican. I can be both, and being multicultural does not mean I have to fit into one specific stereotype.
summary: We did a worksheet about different stereotypes and discussed how people can make assumptions about others.
Reflection: I learned that stereotypes can cause people to judge others without actually knowing them. I also learned that everyone has different experiences and should not be judged based on assumptions.
Comments
Post a Comment